Statement:

‘Through my work, I aim to respond to the structure of today’s society, holding a convex mirror up to what is already there and highlight the - often interesting - distortions that it might otherwise take for granted. By this I mean the attitudes that we have towards people and things, because they don’t quite fit in with our point of view or schedule, get ignored or pigeonholed to suit our own agenda or beliefs.’

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Today what was supposed to be a horse in its previous incarnation, has started to look like its new intended form... How you might picture this is up to you but the block of stone has been transformed.

While it was a pleasure to be carving a horse's head (which was to represent an outsized chess piece), I have found that due to my epiphany over the week-end, plus an itsy bit of soul-searching, I am even more excited about carving an old boot... [albeit one of the walking variety!]

In my usual determined / dogged / stubborn nature, although the block of stone has various problems with it, such as a marked difference in texture in one section (i.e. much coarser in grain than the rest) so far it is going very well. In fact some of the fissures have served me well and saved the arm-ache in blocking out sections.

As per usual I find myself getting one side spot-on and the other requiring a little more patience...
Is it me or is it natural to be able to carve one side of an object better than the other? Something to do with carving direction and dexterity of hand - I'm a leftie and the left-hand side that I have been working on has been smoother-going, whether coarse or smooth in surface!!!

Moving on...

This Easter break I have some serious paperwork to be done for my studies, as I had a joint and sciatic problem which meant I literally couldn't sit or lay down properly for ten weeks - TEN WEEKS!!!

The tutors and my fellow students at uni have been pretty supportive...
Having not been able to get into uni for the first half of my incarcerating problem, my thoughtful friends came up trumps and on my second day back, had brought in a yoga mat, a camping mat and a memory-foam pillow for me to at least try to get some work done over the coming weeks... A BIG thanks to them all - and now finally I have the ability to sit at a table to work and eat etc... but...

It's still easier to stand and carve than sit and type reams of text, so I will leave you with a couple of pictures of my new project... when they arrive in my inbox!

Smiles for a beautifully sunny day :)  :)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment